Thursday, January 10, 2013

WHAT’S THAT!



Today in Best Buy I asked the resident geek for a slide viewer.  He took a step backwards as his eyes glazed over.

“Slide viewer? he choked. 

“What’s that?” he asked looking at me as if I had just stepped off a ship from the far reaches of the Galaxy. 

I know he was expecting me to morph into something slithery right before his eyes.

It made me laugh – which only freaked him out more.

These kids think they know everything… HAH! 

To comment: click on the word "comments" below - write in the box, then go to "comment as" and choose how you want to sign in, then click publish)


2 comments:

  1. Technology moves so quickly. I remember when DVDs replaced VHS, and slowly the shelves at Blockbuster phased out the old video tapes for the new disc format... of course, nowadays, ANY kind of physical media is obsolete, and Blockbuster has gone bankrupt to make way for Netflix.

    I think what's interesting is those little emotional memories we attach to these ephemeral technologies. Certain videos I watched when I was 4 or 5 were so worn out from replay after replay that the picture was permanently obscured with jagged lines and shifting figures. It was like personalized wear on an old pair of jeans; it made that video YOURS.

    I also remember the first time I recorded a song off the radio onto a cassette tape. It was called Guerilla Radio by Rage Against the Machine, and it had it's worldwide debut on NYC's K-Rock. Nowadays, when I want to hear a new song, I can just open Youtube or Spotify and do a quick search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I walk into those places, I barely know half of what the sales people are trying to tell me, but, being twice their age, I betcha I have a better idea what I want to create with whatever fancy new device they bring out! And hooray for that! Get me tech service on the line! I can figure it out!
    JT

    ReplyDelete