Wednesday, October 17, 2012

SERIOUSLY SPEAKING

One of our readers asked about these “altered states” in the period between sleeping and waking. 

Why and what causes these “hallucinatory” experiences on the edge of sleep?  This common human experience is often called WST (wakefulness sleep transition).  We still have a lot to learn about this ‘hypnagogic’ state and its corresponding neurology.  

Many people report very pleasant or humorous experiences.  Some say they hear someone calling their name.  Many artists and inventors have credited this state with enhancing their creativity. 

There’s a beautiful quote from Peter Pan referring to this moment in human experience: 
“You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?  That’s where I’ll always love you.  That’s where I’ll be waiting.”
    J.M. Barrie 
    Peter Pan

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this! I often see what seems like a 3-dimensional grid on the ceiling when I first wake up - sort of like that image in the movie Matrix - and truthfully it feels a little frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can rest assured! What you are describing is actually one of the frequently reported images - Nothing frightening - just your brain giving you a little wake up entertainment. You might enjoy it more now that you know it's normal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter Pan, wow! That is a beautiful quote.

    Thanks for this posting it is inspiring and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once, I was dreaming of a future in which everything we do was controlled by pushing buttons. As I came out of the dream, I saw that my finger was pressing the wall next to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the first nights here in nyc I heard my grandmother screaming my name!!her voice sounded so familiar to me,yet I had trouble recognizing it...!maybe-as peter pan said-it was her original way to tell me she loved me!!
    Irma

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes my dreams are very straight forward - maybe based on an event during the day -BUT sometimes they are very confusing! any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete