Sunday, February 24, 2013

SUNDAY SMILES

APARTMENT HUNTING NEW YORK STYLE

I saw 250 apartments in my search for the perfect home.  This is not an exaggeration.  I know because after seeing the same place for the third time, I began keeping notes!

Number 52 was quite an experience...

The broker called me in a frenzy of excitement.  “Quick” she yelled into the phone.  “Get downstairs and I’ll pick you up.  This great new place just came onto the market!  We’ll be the first to see it!  Hurry!”

Being first, I learned, was a point of honor among real estate brokers. 
We zoomed through the streets to this Upper East Side building.  Leaving her car double parked, we rushed breathlessly into the lobby.

We had to wait for the elevator – for quite awhile, actually.
“I’m sure it’s usually much faster,” she reassured me.  “Must be the owner moving out…”

And indeed it was... 
My agent had neglected to tell me that the ‘first alert’ she got was on the police band. 

As the elevator door opened paramedics wheeled a covered gurney out the door…


And no, I did not go to see that apartment!


To comment: click on the word "comments" below - write in the box, then go to "comment as" and choose how you want to sign in, then click publish. Check back for replies to your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment