Truly effective communication requires the ability to change your ‘communication colors’ depending upon your audience.
Some of this is obvious – we speak differently to little children than we do to other adults.
But it’s the subtle verbal 'color changes' that allow us to share our desires and thoughts – to be effective in making sure the message we deliver and the message received are the same!
DANCE WITH IT! EXPERIENTIAL APPS
An opportunity to experiment with some fun ideas...
SHIFTING YOUR COMMUNICATION COLORS - 5 EASY STEPS
1) Get your ego in check and think about who you are talking to and what you really want them to take away from the conversation …
2) Think chameleon! As an experiment actually imagine yourself shifting to fit the other person’s environment – this is subtle- it is not about using trite expressions to ‘fit in’ but rather about feeling the temperature and context of the moment.
3) Listening is key. What is the other person really saying? Try imitating their tonality and rhythm – subtle, subtle…
4) A great trick is to mirror their body language … remember … subtle!
5) Try to get into their rhythm of breathing. Let this be fun…
What happened as you did this?
Did it feel different?
Was your connection with this person easier?
Do you think they felt it?
To comment: click on the word "comments" below - write in the box, then go to "comment as" and choose how you want to sign in, then click publish. Check back for replies to your comments!
If you enjoyed this post and would like to share it, please click on one of the share buttons below: