Our need to always respond perfectly and appropriately probably comes from our hereditary desire not to get caught - and eaten - by those lurking predators with large teeth…
However, that primitive choice between fight or flight became more complicated - and therefore less automatic - as words became our major tools in difficult situations.
Fight or flight was immediate. Hearing what is said to us, processing it, and deciding on the 'perfect' response, particularly in those challenging situations takes a few extra steps…
DANCE WITH IT! EXPERIENTIAL APPS
An opportunity to experiment with some fun
EVER CATCH YOURSELF RESPONDING TO A SITUATION BY:
1) Saying something stupid?
2) Not saying anything at all?
3) Telling yourself all the things you could have/should have said - long after the event is over?
IF YOU'RE HUMAN …YOU'VE BEEN THERE!
SO, HERE'S A NEW PLAN OF ATTACK:
1) Assume that you will say something stupid sometimes.
2) Assume you won't say anything at all sometimes.
3) Tell yourself that these two responses are really normal and it's okay to imagine all the perfect things you could have said after the event...
Instead of berating yourself think of it as a rehearsal…
Three great ways to join the Human Dance party: