Wednesday, December 10, 2014

SERIOUSLY SPEAKING - AWARENESS SELFIES


Growing up most of us have heard, "You are too selfish!"  and "Did you see what you just did?" Confusing admonitions indeed! 

We criticize our children if we think they are too focused on 'self' and at the same time demand that very focus!

An integral element of mental health is balance which clearly comes into play in the area of 'self'.

We do need to be self-aware - clued into how we interact with our world and impact others and ourselves.

Self-absorption, on the other hand, is a limiting phenomenon that isolates us and creates pain - for ourselves and those around us!

  



DANCE WITH IT!   EXPERIENTIAL APPS           
An opportunity to experiment with some fun
ideas...

HOW TO SNAP A MENTAL SELFIE

To find out where you fit on the 'Self' Spectrum think about a recent difficult situation with someone and ask yourself the following questions:

1)  Did I make assumptions about what the other person was thinking?

2)  Did I make assumptions about what they were feeling - especially about me?

3)  Did I check in with myself and look at my 50% of the situation?

4)  Did I automatically judge myself - or the other person?

5)  What punishment or suffering did I require of myself - or the other person?

6)  Did I find a healthy, non-accusatory, way to resolve the issue?






~To comment click below~



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Carol. As I read through your check list, I found myself realizing that, as I've often suspected, I tend to make so many negative assumptions in my life... Usually, they are just plain ill founded. Thanks for the wake up call!



    ReplyDelete