THE ART OF EMOTIONAL NEGOTIATING
Like the teenager in yesterday's Fable (see 7/8/2014) we often deal with difficult problematic situations by barreling into them head on.
We use what we feel and think to attack the problem - or conversely tell ourselves it is too difficult to fix and run in the other direction.
However, as we mature, we hopefully open ourselves to the art of 'Emotional Negotiating' which really means coming to a balance between who we are and what we want and who we are dealing with and what is most likely to get through to them.
DANCE WITH IT! EXPERIENTIAL APPS
An opportunity to experiment with some fun
6 EASY STEPS TO PROBLEM SOLVING
1) Who are you? Yes, this needs to come first. What are your strengths and weaknesses in the current problematic situation?
*Are you patient?
*Are you coming from a position of power?
*What cards do you actually hold?
*Are you a risk taker or risk adverse?
2) Who is your opposite number? Ask yourself those same questions listed above about them.
3) Clarify your goal. Do you have a desired outcome? Are you looking to solve a specific problem? Or is your goal to make the other person admit guilt and suffer? No judgment. Just make sure you are clear - with yourself.
4) What are the possible outcomes? First imagine 'Best Case'. Now switch to 'Worst Case'. And finally, ask yourself the 'Most Likely' outcome.
5) Promise not to Bully yourself if the outcome is not perfect - and not to gloat in the other guy's face if it is 'Best Case'!
6) Now give it your best shot.
and to laugh as you learn join us on YouTube for Beat the Bully