Sunday, December 16, 2012

SUNDAY SMILES

 YUM…
The restaurants of Gotham offer an amazing treasure chest of delights.  So, on one of his frequent visits, my then 11 year old nephew Raffi and I hit an exotic looking Teahouse in Chinatown.  This place was famous for its unusual desserts, and the dish they brought to the table was indeed delicious – and unusual.
“Look Aunt Carol,” Raffi pointed out with great interest, “the pudding is moving and plopping.”
“What a great imagination this kid has,” I smiled to myself, with that somewhat superior attitude adults often take.  I looked down at the pudding ready to point out that perhaps ‘plop’ wasn’t exactly the correct word to use for a pudding.
“Plop – plop, plop, PLOP!”  “Yikes!” I shrieked, jumping to my feet and frantically brushing at my hair and clothes. 
Roaches were falling from the ceiling and PLOPPING onto the table.  My whole body felt like it was crawling.  As all eyes in the small room focused on us, Raffi helpfully pointed to the ceiling teeming with bugs.
The owner rushed over and apologetically tried to brush off the now rapidly filling table top. 
I dragged my disappointed nephew toward the exit, still trying to shake off creeping things from my totally grossed out person.
“Aw, Aunt Carol” Raf complained.  “Can’t we stay?  That was a totally awesome dessert!   We don’t have dessert like that back home…”
What can I tell you, Raf just got back from the rain forests of Costa Rica with at least 100 pictures of … you guessed it, bugs!

(To comment: click on the word "comments" below - write in the box, then go to "comment as" and choose how you want to sign in, then click publish)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my! As someone who has eaten more than once in Chinatown in NYC... luckily, I haven't had this happen to me... I don't think!!!
    JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Love some of the dim sum places down there. Although I think an experience like this would turn me off from almost any restaurant.

    ReplyDelete