Friday, December 14, 2012

SERIOUSLY SPEAKING

How does memory actually work? 
Why do we remember some things so easily and others not at all? 
A very complex subject that has had brain researchers intrigued for decades, the simplest way for us to think about it is in terms of:

1) Creating memories or encoding
2)  Storing memories
3)  Recalling or retrieval    read more


DANCE WITH IT!   EXPERIENTIAL APPS
An opportunity to experiment with some fun ideas...

Ready to remember names? 

Step 1
Think about why you want to remember – intention is a big part in acquiring new skills.  Do you really care?
If you answered ‘yes’ then here are some fun ways to upgrade – remember like any skill, practice makes perfect (Yes, I know, trite – but true!)

Step 2
Put a new belief into your mental data bank.  For example if you always say, “I never remember names,” you are already encoding your ‘computer’ with a negative message!  Find a new phrase.  You might try:  “I remember names when I want to,” or “I remember names of people I like”.  Experiment with a phrase that you can buy into.

Step 3 
Memory Creation or input.  Are you actually present in the moment or thinking about something else?  Input takes focus.  Pay attention to your 5 senses – can you connect the name to a color, a smell, a sound?  Someone recently mentioned how easy it was to remember a name when that person introduced themselves with a sound cue – “My name is Ted it rhymes with bed”… Another trick is to say the name a bunch of times immediately after you hear it.

Memory Storage.  If you were a computer where would you be locating this file?  On the tip of your tongue for immediate use?  In a file you will open one week from today when you see this person again?  Are you linking it to a location?  To another person?  This stuff is intriguing!  And as with everything else brain related, upgrading these skills brings many side benefits – apart from having fun, you are making yourself smarter!

Memory Retrieval or downloading.  Ok, now is the exciting part.  Go to the file where you stored this name and click your metaphorical mouse and there it is!  Two useful tools for this retrieval:  use the alphabet – start with ‘A’ and keep going until the name pops up.  Another fun retrieval tool is to imagine that the name is in a balloon floating above your head.  Grab hold of the string attached to the balloon and gently pull it down until you can see the name.

The holidays are a great time to experiment with names since we tend to be running into a lot of new ones.  Let us know what happens!


(To comment: click on the word "comments" below - write in the box, then go to "comment as" and choose how you want to sign in, then click publish)

3 comments:

  1. yep verrrrrrrry interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually tried this today when I met some new people. It worked so well that I couldn't believe it and kept testing myself. I was sure it was a mistake and that I'd forget the names. But it really worked. I don't think I could forget these names now if I tried! Thanks! This is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas, especially the "rhyming" trick. I love poetry, so, I'm gonna give that one a try! Maybe I'll write a silly little two line mental poem in their honor!
    JT

    ReplyDelete