Tuesday, December 11, 2012

PEE YOO!

“Fasten your seat belt, you’re in for a rough ride!” my friend Ted warned as he walked in the door.

What was he talking about?  “Venting” - that uncensored dumping of raw anger that we've all experienced. 

Let’s face it – big in the 70’s – this is a concept whose time has come and gone.  So why do people still do it?

Forgive my language, but like passing gas, it feels good in the moment!  Unfortunately, just like that other bodily activity, this transfer of bad energy stinks up the room!

I know, I know, even the very best of us get carried away sometimes but really, think about the other guy!  Ugh!

Have any stinky stories to share?


(To comment: click on the word"comments" below - write in the box, then go to "comment as" and choose how you want to sign in, then click publish)

3 comments:

  1. It's never fun to be the object of someone's venting. Someone is frustrated and angry about someone or something completely unrelated and they choose to dump it all on you. It kind of feels like collateral damage; you're receiving punishment for something you've never done.

    Sometimes I feel like it helps the person, giving them an outlet to release all that tension, but other times I wonder if it doesn't just make them feel worse. What's the best response? Letting them finish their rant or stopping them in their tracks and risking an even angrier venter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. would rather not share. but thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a highly competitive field (I've had many other jobs, but this career of mine is the most pressure filled). Over the years, I've worked with two people in positions of power, older and much more experienced than me, who dealt with the stress by "stinking up the room". One would simply lash out in anger at the slightest mistake by a co-worker, the other would use put downs as a way to communicate. Of course, I came to realize over the years, this only happened because they were so insecure, and were using anger as a buffer between them and dealing with the raw reality of the challenges we all faced together. Yucky. I no longer work with them! Stink, be gone!
    JT

    ReplyDelete