Ever notice how often people make comments about other people's appearance? And how much impact their comments can have on how we feel?
This is clearly an indication of how important appearance is in our society. And of course, the specific content of these comments gives us even more information about our society's values.
Given the importance that appearance has, it also becomes a great arena for bullying, for feeling like a victim, for rebellion and passive aggressive behavior.
DANCE WITH IT! EXPERIENTIAL APPS
An opportunity to experiment with some fun ideas…
EVER HEAR ANY OF THESE? EVER SAY THEM?
- 'You look just like_____________'(fill in the blank).
- 'You would be so attractive if only you ____________'(fill in the blank).
- 'Have you ever thought of changing your___________'
- 'Men who look like you_____________'
- 'Women who look like you_______________'
- 'If only you'd_________________'
IF YOU WERE ON THE RECEIVING END:
HOW HAVE THESE COMMENTS IMPACTED YOU?
WHAT DID YOU DO IN RESPONSE?
DID YOU RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THE PERSON WHO SAID THIS?
DID YOU REALIZE THAT THE COMMENTS HAD MORE TO DO WITH THE OTHER PERSON THAN THEY DID TO YOU?
IF YOU WERE ON THE 'GIVING' END:
DID YOU REALIZE HOW YOUR WORDS WOULD IMPACT THE OTHER?
WHAT WAS YOUR REAL GOAL?
DID YOU ACHIEVE IT?