As children we learn to respond defensively to criticism. We are small and the person criticizing us is usually big!
As an adult it is important to drop the defensive, victim mask and acknowledge whatever is going on.
Maybe you did do something imperfect?
Or, maybe the other guy is a bully? You're not perfect… and unfortunately, neither are they!
DANCE WITH IT! EXPERIENTIAL APPS
An opportunity to experiment with some fun
IMMUNIZE YOURSELF FROM THE 'CRITICISM PLAGUE' IN 8 SIMPLE STEPS
1) Make a list of your flaws. No judgment - just observation!
2) Study the list. Are any of the items truly toxic?
(i.e. things that cause true suffering.)
3) Remove toxic items by changing behavior - yes, you can do this!
4) Study the remaining items.
5) Now go through the list and say, "I am ______(insert item) and it is ok."
6) Repeat above exercise until the items no longer have any charge…
7) Now imagine someone else accusing you of one of the now 'chargeless' items.
8) Imagine smiling at them and saying: "Yes, you are right! I am!"
CHECK IT OUT! IT MIGHT SOUND SILLY BUT IT WORKS - AND LIFE GETS WAY EASIER - AND MORE REAL!