Friday, August 4, 2017

SERIOUSLY SPEAKING - STRAIGHT LINES

Sometimes, we seem to get addicted to straight lines, you know, A to B to C…

We often hear people say, "But, I did X and therefore I should get Y!"

This can actually be an emotionally dangerous way of thinking. 

If we get stuck believing in this rational we can end up feeling frustrated and cheated and badly treated by life.



DANCE WITH IT!   EXPERIENTIAL APPS                          
An opportunity to experiment with some fun ideas…

Think about some of the 'straight line' fables you've bought into…

List all your 'if I do X I should be rewarded by Y' and the 'if I act this way, the world should treat me this way' beliefs.

Now think about whether your belief was borne out by reality.
How often did it prove to be true?
How did you feel when it wasn't true?

What do you think would happen if you drop this belief?
Might life be easier?  Less stressful?



No comments:

Post a Comment